Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Evening Update (about the labor & baby)

It was the weekend of Feb 6-8 in 2004 and our church had scheduled a weekend retreat with another church out on Lake Michigan at a retreat center there. Julie was 38 weeks pregnant, but I was only an hour away and everything would be fine should she go into labor. The night we got there, Friday, I was up late playing cards and hanging out with a bunch of the attendees. I finally stroll off to bed at around 1 a.m. on Saturday morning. Julie had told me to keep my phone on and with me should something happen. Unfortunately when getting ready for bed that night my phone got covered with the clothes I had just changed out of. That evening around 2 a.m. Julie went into labor. The retreat service desk was closed until 6 a.m. the next morning and after two attempts to call me Julie became seriously worried. On her third try I amazingly heard my phone, under a pile of clothes, after 90 minutes of sleep. Needless to say, I was so glad to get home in time for my son Jonathan to be born at 7 a.m. at St. Mary's hospital here in Grand Rapids. I am certain that I had a little help waking up that evening. Who wakes up after 90 minutes of sleep to a very faint noise? I would have otherwise missed my son's birth.

8:49 - Julie's water broke around 4 p.m. this afternoon. We need the labor to continue to progress along as infection begins to become a risk after 18-24 hours of labor. We pray for continued progression and also wisdom to know when to go in to the hospital. If you go in too early, they often suggest all kinds of intervention which does not always help in the natural delivery method which is our desire.

10:07 p.m. - A warm shower, praying with the boys for Mama and the baby, some quiet time laying and relaxing on the bed...it's showtime. The contractions are starting to come and we are headed into the hospital. Thanks for your prayers I will update when I can.

2 comments:

Kirsten McKeown said...

Wow! So exciting! We will be praying.

Binarypc said...

This is so awesome! We were praying for God's hand & it looks like He had timing none of us planned!