Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Boiler Room

Tonight we experienced our first "Boiler Room" at Rooftop. That is the worship night to include communion that takes place every 3-4 months. Not only that, but I was able to work with Jason in planning it and was able to contribute some of my heart and personality into the evening. It was a great privilege for sure.

In addition to that, one of my Rooftop brothers asked this week if we wanted to lay hands on David and pray for him at some point. I felt like the Boiler Room was the time and place for that. So about half way through, I went and got David from his kids room at the church and we sat down and read James 5:13-18 together. I asked him what James said to do if you were sick, and he said, "ask the elders of the church to come and pray for him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord". I asked David if he would mind if we did that, he said "No, I would like that".

I couldn't ask everyone to pray as I did not want to take away the focus of the evening. However, I know the Rooftop family loves and embraces us and our family and our recent challenges. I am thankful for each of you who want to live fully for Jesus and allow me to be encouraged and motivated by witnessing it first hand. I also pray for David, that he would see passionate followers of Jesus who love Him above all else and will obey His commands. I don't know how, but this was a big night for David. As I was praying I thought of Jacob who wrestled with God in Gen 32:22-32 for a whole night and before the dawn He bested God in the wrestling match and got his blessing. But...God touched his hip and he walked with a limp thereafter.

I believe we acted in faith by praying for David and I do believe God will heal him. Might I be wrong, maybe...but more importantly, I am praying that whatever the journey my son goes on with his God, that David may be convinced of God's blessing on him and if the price for that is a limp like Jacob, then so be it.

The Boiler Room finished up, the band and the horns did a great job. Communion was awesome as we knelt collectively at the improvised altars...it was a special night for sure. Just another short wonderful chapter for us here in St. Louis, following God's call on our life to go to a land I will show you.

1 comment:

Elaine Larson said...

I woke up early (like 5 a.m. ish) for whatever reason, and am AWAKE this Sunday, so I decided to go to email.

Last night was my first boiler room and I loved it. I was sitting on the right so was aware of David being prayed for. It was touching to see a child surrounded by elders and people praying for him. Great story about David's experience and your experience as a family of the evening.

Elaine L