Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Zilkie Family First for Easter

As I have written about before, our family has developed some pretty involved Christmas traditions which have added much value and meaning to Christmas as well as additional enjoyment for everyone, child and adult.  This year I wanted to add in some Easter traditions as well.

So on Palm Sunday we sat down in the evening and opened to the Gospels and read the Palm Sunday/Triumphal Entry passages in each of the four gospels.  Interestingly, it is one of the few events which is covered by all four gospels.  As we discussed it we were able to teach, and give important contextual meaning to the palm branches, the donkey, the people, and the fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies.

On Thursday evening we sat down again and opened up to the Last Supper.  We started reading in Matthew and talked a little bit about it together.  But then I stopped and went to the kitchen and came back with a dinner roll and some purple vitamin water Julie picked up at Walgreen's (I had asked for juice but at least it was the right color).  We moved from the couches down onto the floor and sat around the coffee table in the living room.  I then turned from Matthew's recording of the Last Supper to Luke's.  Now if you don't know, Luke is my favorite Last Supper passage because it is the only gospel that records Jesus saying the words, "I have desired to share this meal with you..." when speaking to his disciples.

So there I sat with my dear children who were smiling from ear to ear, and I repeated the words of Jesus from Luke, "I have desired to share this meal with you..."  Those words were true for me just as they were for Jesus when He said them.  I did not know this would happen, but all five of our children thought that acting out the Last Supper with real bread and fake wine was the coolest thing they could imagine.  Caroline especially could not stop smiling and giggling as we very seriously talked through the rest of the passage and each shared a piece of the bread and a drink from the fancy wine glass filled with purple water.  Although I didn't call it "communion" that is essentially what I led my family in together.  I can not fully describe it, but what our family experienced together, Selah included, was very, very special and a very spiritual moment.  We closed out our time and every child prayed at least a little prayer together.

The next morning Caroline comes bouncing into our room and has this hug smile on her face.  And then she says, "Papa, do you "wemember" when we "pwetended" to be the disciples last night and had bread and "dwank" out of the special glass?" (all the while giggling as she was asking).  I said "Yes, did you enjoy that?"  She replied back, "that was my favorite thing!"

Who would have known?  And who knows to what degree that shared experience together touched the hearts of one or all of our children.  The response and the spiritual "fruit" that evening produced has encouraged me greatly.  I am motivated and excited to create more opportunities for the Bible and the lives of our children to intersect, and in the process give the Holy Spirit the opportunity to do what God wants to do in each of their beautiful hearts.

As of this writing on Saturday evening, we talked through the crucifixion on Good Friday and the events on Saturday.  But that time Thursday evening has been by far the best moment of this Easter season.  Happy Easter to you and I hope you have a similar "Last Supper moment" which will mark this Easter and set it apart as special for you and your family.

No comments: