Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Personal Story About Gordie Howe

Tonight I found out that the famous Detroit Red Wing, 83 year old Gordie Howe, is suffering from Dementia.  This same disease took the life of his wife back in 2009.  Gordie Howe is one of the greatest hockey players of all time.  In fact, before Wayne Gretzky he was the greatest to ever play the game of hockey and and many still consider him the greatest.  However, my sadness and appreciation for Gordie Howe has little to do with what he did on a hockey rink.

My father passed away on December 1st, 1993 when I was 19 years old.  I was in the Marines and flew home from Pensacola where I was stationed at the time.  It was hard losing my dad, and after the funeral and all the family events, it was time for me to return to Florida.  It was a Monday morning and I had been dropped off at Detroit Metro airport and began making my way to my terminal.  I remember walking through the concourse and there in front of me was this older gentlemen walking towards me.  He was wearing a suit that was somewhat disheveled and looking very tired.
I am sure he had just gotten off of a red-eye flight, had slept very little, and just wanted to get home.  I recognized this man as Gordie Howe.

A former boss of mine had told me what a great guy Gordie was and how generous he was with his fans and with people in general.  I had had a very rough week with my dad's passing and funeral and I knew saying "hello" would not be too much of a bother to him and would make me feel better.  Very politely I approached him and said, "Excuse me Mr. Howe, I want to thank you for how you played the game of hockey, but even more for how you have been so giving and generous with your fans.  God bless you and your family."  I shook his hand and intended to continue on my way.  He however, had other plans.

Gordie Howe holds on to my hand and stops me from going and then seeing my "high and tight" haircut asks me if I by chance am in the military.  I say "Yes, Sir", I am in the Marines.  He then asks if I am stationed here in Detroit.  I say no, I am just home for my father's funeral, he passed away this week at the age of 51. Gordie Howe immediately stops and looks me in the eyes and says, "I am sorry".  It was a wonderful and crazy moment.  One of the greatest hockey players of all time, who had just gotten off of a miserable flight and looked the part, was 100% dialed into my world and sharing his sadness at my father's passing with me.  We continued talking for about 5 minutes with him asking me questions about my service, my home, my plans...Gordie Howe did this.

Anyway, this all true and to this day this man has my utmost respect.  He was famous for his toughness and tenacity on the ice.  For me though, Gordie Howe will always be that strong older man who showed grace and then heartfelt compassion for a young Marine who he didn't even know.  Thank you Gordie!  I pray that the grace of God will rest on you these final years as you finish your time on this earth.  Your ten minutes with me meant and still means so much.


No comments: