Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hello 2012

Normally I am not a resolutions guy, but I do like to set goals periodically, and specifically to help me accomplish various tasks and personal objectives that are laid on my heart.  I have resisted it for 37 years but this year I felt like I needed to take a more serious approach to my health.  Now I am not going vegan or anything, but I may need to cut out the 10:30 p.m. spoonfuls of  peanut butter that I have always enjoyed.  (Undigested peanut butter in your stomach while you sleep just doesn't settle as well as it used to.)

Also, thanks to Julie's accomplished goals from last year regarding her prayer, bible reading, and journaling time, I am inspired to set some goals and establish more accountability for myself in this area as well.  So far so good...17 days in. I am excited to see what God wants to do with this year.  I am asking Him regularly to open up "the gates" and do something new and significant both in my life and in the Zilkie family.

I think these two pieces are important: (1) to ask God for more of Himself and for greater Kingdom impact (2) to discipline ourselves for godliness. (1 Tim 4:8)  The first is a prayer that God wants to answer and the second involves surrendering ourselves to the work of the Holy Spirit and hopefully allowing God to trust us with more of Himself and Kingdom responsibility.  As Jesus said in Luke 16, "Those who are faithful with little will be faithful with much."

I myself am not deserving or faithful, but by the grace of God and through the power of the Holy Spirit, may I be faithful with what God would want to give me.

2 comments:

todd said...

I managed once again this year to resist making any resolutions whatsoever.

I win.

(However, if I were to break my resolution-free streak next year, it might be to resolve to take a dose of peanut-butter each night. That sounds like one I could keep.)

A Contrarian's Way said...

Do so at your own risk my friend. It tastes good in the moment but can leave you not feeling so well in the morning.