Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

This past couple months has brought a bunch of "firsts" into my life. We sold our first home after owning and living in it for over seven years. While dropping off our Dodge Stratus here in St. Louis my luggage was lost on the flight back, which was a first for me after close to a hundred flights in my life. I moved out of state with a family for the first time. While driving to St. Louis we had a child throw up in our car for the first time. We are renting a house for the first time. The family went to the zoo for free for the first time. (The boys want to go back often since there is no admission charge). And tonight around a quarter after eleven, that same 1997 Dodge Stratus was stolen from out in front of our house...the first time a car of mine was ever stolen.

I walked out to do some late night grocery shopping for breakfast tomorrow and the car wasn't there. Many of you have had that moment when your car is not where you thought it should be and you ask yourself, "Did I leave it somewhere?" "Did Julie drive it and park it elsewhere?" Ironically, we had some friends over and watched them go out to their car at around 10:45 p.m. When I went out around 11:45 to run to the store real quick, the car wasn't there. When I told Julie she said she heard the car start around 11:15 but thought it was me going to the store. What timing...

Julie bought this car brand new 12 years ago and it has been a good car for us over the years. In its present condition with the broken driver side mirror, broken hood latch, wired on front fender, mild oil leak and subsequent engine knock is worth about $1100...maybe. It wasn't much to look at, but it was low maintenance, it was a smooth ride, and it was ours. When Officer Weber arrived he told me that Dodge and Chrysler vehicles are ripped off all the time in our part of town. Kids from outside the area come around and look for the easiest car to break into and then drive it off until it runs out of gas. Sometimes they are recovered with just the handle and ignition broken, some times worse. Either way, with our very limited insurance, we are out of pocket to repair it or replace it. It was 12 years old.

As Julie and I looked at each other and realized what had happened we stopped and prayed. We thanked God for His faithfulness to us, for his provision and protection each day of our lives. We realize that "we are not in Kansas anymore" but rather we are next door in Missouri, and St. Louis for that matter. Ironically I have been having these small debates with some Rooftoppers about whose crime problems are worse, St. Louis or Detroit? Honestly, I have been persuaded a little more this evening. Julie and I believe deeply of our calling here to St. Louis and to Rooftop Community Church. Tonight is just confirmation and an opportunity to live open-handedly, with a heart focused on Jesus and His Kingdom. Everything else will pass away, including the mostly plastic, partially metal, beat up Dodge Stratus that some confused and hurting people are joy-riding around St. Louis right now at 1:15 am. I pray for them and that God can and will take this situation and bring glory to Himself.

Finally, how does one go to sleep after they find out their car was just stolen??? I guess I'll find this out for the first time as well.

3 comments:

Binarypc said...

It's never easy. When things like this happen, is when we find out if our "stuff" is ours, or Gods. We will be praying for God to meet your need quickly. His provision is always there, on time. :-)

Emily Handy said...

I am so sorry to hear of this news. I feel bad, like I should have warned you or something as my parents had everything stolen out of their car when they honeymooned in St. Louis 37 years ago. It happened their first night there, so needless to say they went back home and didn't get a honeymoon. Guess things haven't changed. I pray for your safety there. On a good note, it's exciting that you can visit the zoo for free. We love the zoo b/c it's educational and the animals act differently everytime.

lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear that our great city has done this to you. I love South City and miss it dearly... Another friend of mine had her car (also a Chrysler) stolen from her church parking lot! It was found in Hazelwood a few days later in good condition. Someone just needed a ride home.