Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wisdom For Acquiring Wisdom

Back in the summer of 1992 while working as a counselor for a boys camp in West Michigan, I was introduced to a method of reading and studying the Bible. The man who shared this with me had been a leader in this ministry when I was a boy and was still serving ten years later. I don't remember his name, but I remember he was from Flint and he would lead a Bible study for all the staff who wanted to come early each morning. Being the zealous person that I am, I was up every morning I could, attending his Bible study.

His study was different for me at that stage in life. Rather then read Old Testament stories or from the Gospels, we would read the chapter of Proverbs that coincided with the day of the month it was. You see, Proverbs has 31 chapters and fits very well in a chapter a day for a month study plan. Moreover, we would sit there together and read the proverb of the day slowly and discuss what we had read and what we thought the wise author was trying communicate. This format was both new and very engaging. Proverbs is fairly easy to read and yet is filled with all kinds of wisdom and insight concerning life and communion with God. I began this Proverbs study journey sporadically for years to come. Often I would begin my reading time each day with the Proverb of they day, my journal, and asking the Holy Spirit to highlight one verse or truth from the 20-30 verses in each chapter that He wanted me to meditate upon that day. This has been a great help for me over the years as I have sought to walk with God and I feel that God has granted me much wisdom through my reading of Proverbs and asking him for wisdom as I read. (See James 1:2-5)

Well the other day, here in St. Louis in my new office area down in the basement I opened up my 14 year old Bible to the book of Proverbs. I had not used this Bible in some time and was surprised to see all of the lines, markings, and notes I had written over all the years in the Proverbs. It comforted me in that it reminded me that slowly over the years, I had been investing my mind and heart in the wisdom of God and that there had been a generous reward given to me in that pursuit. I love the Proverbs and I love the wisdom of God. If you have not read it in a while, check the calender for the day of the month. Open your Bible to the Proverbs chapter of the day and read the chapter slowly praying "Holy Spirit, please open my mind and heart to one truth you want me to dwell upon today." God will not disappoint you in this request and you will have been blessed by reading God's word for yourself.

No comments: