Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Monday, March 18, 2013

2013 Reynosa, Mexico Trip - Monday - Post #1

The week leading up to my mission trip to Reynosa, Mexico has been so busy and consuming.  Shoot, most of you don't even know that I am on a mission trip right now because I didn't have the time to let many people know.  The past couple weeks have been quite busy but full of good stuff and also an incredible blessing.  Although I didn't have much time to get ready and prepare for this trip, God was faithful time and again.

Two weeks ago most of our family got sick with a nasty bug which knocked most of the Zilkies out anywhere from 3-6 days.  I got it and lost 12 pounds in three days heading into last weekend.  I was so weary and dehydrated so bad that 4 quarts of Gatorade and everything else I drank was just consumed by my body as I recovered from the sickness.  It felt like I could not drink enough or get enough fluids to satisfy my body's needs.
After the sickness passed I had a great week of ministry stuff, but little time for just God and I which I have been doing more of lately and enjoying tremendously.  

On Tuesday, March 12th I spent a couple hours late into the evening talking with and praying for a Christian brother who was days from getting married and wanted some specific prayer as he got ready to take this huge step in his life.

On Wednesday evening I hosted a small group leaders huddle (training) at our home for some small group leaders at Rooftop and had a great time of fellowship and encouraging one another in our small group leadership.

On Thursday evening we had small group at our home which was a wonderful time of sharing and then went long because people had some really cool stuff to say and also requested specific prayer.

On Friday, March 15th I had a rehearsal dinner to attend and had to work on a message that I was going to be giving the next day.  

On Saturday, March 16th I gave the message at the previously mentioned wedding...did I mention that I had to try to make time to prepare the message I was going to give during this crazy week with everything else going on?  Also, I attended a friend and Rooftopper's birthday celebration between the ceremony and then back to the reception with the whole Zilkie family which went late into the evening.  By the way, the Zilkie children love to dance like the Mama and Papa and that was so much fun dancing with them to all the old favorites.

Then on Sunday, after attending and being a part of both morning services our group from Rooftop was leaving on Sunday afternoon for a week in Mexico and I still had a ton of stuff to do to get ready for the trip.

I can thankfully say that God was so faithful in all of these things I was a part of throughout the week.  It seemed that every event went well and had His blessing as best I can tell.  I prayed a lot for each of them, prepared as much as I could with the time I had, but in everything I was not getting time for just me and God and by God's graciousness to me...I felt it.  Did you catch that???  I felt the loss of time with God my Father, Jesus my Lord, and with the Holy Spirit.  Oh that we all would feel the lack of time with God in our lives on a regular basis...what a gift!!!

Well once we hit the road on Sunday we drove all night long, 23 hours, in order to arrive in Mexico this afternoon.  I slept 3-4 hours and tried to read the rest of the time but you know how that goes in the back of a van bouncing up and down.  We arrived this afternoon, unloaded our stuff and then headed out to the Colonia (the poverty stricken area where we build houses and minister to people here in the city).  

It was such a blessing to meet the families for whom we will be building houses,, greet them with smiles and in Jesus' name, and learn about them from Roland our guide.  After that we headed back to the hotel, got some dinner, and then adjourned for a little evening sharing and worship time.  We gathered in this little side room, but the 25 of us filled it with our voices and energy and I could literally FEEL the presence of God as we sang.  It was in this moment, drinking in the praises we were sharing, lifting our hands, me singing at the top of my lungs that I realized something very significant...

Remember earlier in the post when I said my body couldn't get enough fluids to satisfy it after being sick for 3 days?  Well this evening, even now, I couldn't seem and still can't seem to get enough of God to satisfy my heart and soul.  What a wonderful feeling this is, one I have not had in some time.

I wanted to post this blog for you my friends, family, and supporters so that you can know how things are going and if you would, be praying for me.  I just want God to fill me up and right now I am so thirsty that it feels like I can't get enough.  I am going to bed now at 10 p.m., but am setting my alarm for 5 a.m. and am so excited to wake up, grab my journal, and just sit before Him (my Father in heaven) with anticipation that He will speak to me, His son and that my thirst will be quenched.  

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be satisfied." - Matthew 5:6
"As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God.  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God." - Psalm 42:1-2



1 comment:

Susan said...

Praying for you!!