Image

Image
The Narrow Path

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

2013 Reynosa, Mexico Trip - Tuesday - Post #3

Well today was a hot one, but the show must go on.  We leveled out the very uneven ground in our family's yard, put down some cinder blocks, and began to build a solid 20' x 12' floor, one wall and started on another.

One of the things that really impacted me today was the husband and father of the home, Caesar.  He was present with us the whole time and he was working right alongside us every chance he could.  Imagine you are Caesar...


You are not able to provide for your wife and four children in the manner you desire.  You are willing to work hard as we witnessed today, but the will to work doesn't mean anything without the opportunity to do so.  A group of strangers from America with all of their money, comes in and begins building you a home that you would have preferred to earn and build yourself, as most husbands and fathers would.  Yet, all day Caesar was present, diligent, helpful, grateful, industrious, and a blessing to have in our company.  Moreover, it was a blessing and privilege watching him lead his family and his home both in his actions and his attitude.  We are outsiders on his land and in his home, even if we are funding and building the whole thing with our money.  Yet Caesar was full of grace without seeming the least bit needy or dependent upon us as we worked and served him fervently.

Watching Caesar, I admire his strength of character and leadership in his home.  He has not let his poverty or overwhelming need diminish his spirit.  I really tried to empathize with him as a man, a husband, and father and had trouble doing so.  I have never been unable to provide for my family's physical needs and yet, it could happen to me in the blink of an eye.  I do know that I am unable to provide for my family's needs apart from the complete grace of God, but that is much harder to actually live out.  I pray this evening for Caesar and for his family.  He has a lovely wife, a beautiful teenage daughter, and three other younger boys.  I pray for my own brother-in-law and his struggles to provide for his family with his numerous health problems these past years.

At the end of our work day as the team gathered around to pray and thank God for a productive and blessed day, Caesar came up and joined our circle holding hands with us as we prayed.  I do not know if Caesar believes in Jesus Christ, but he exhibits many of His Father's characteristics.  We prayed for the family, we prayed for renewal from a hard day's work, I pray for Caesar and although I am unable to speak with him due to our different languages I see his heart and I want the same thing as him.  Father, I pray that as the ultimate Father, as the perfect Father, that you would continue to show Caesar and me the grace and help we need to be the fathers that you have called us to be.  Please continue to teach me and instruct me through the life and witness of Caesar and thank you for him and the encouragement he has given.

No comments: